Job Title: Associate Paper Conservator
Institution: Carrabba Conservation (Austin, TX)
Hours: 32 hours per week
Compensation: Salary to commensurate with qualifications and grow with proven performance
Position open until filled.
About Carrabba Conservation: Carrabba Conservation, established in 1987, provides conservation and preservation services for historical and cultural materials including works of art on paper in both public and private collections. Our clients include state and federal governments, galleries, private collectors, museums, universities, historical societies and libraries.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
Assist in the conservation and preservation of paper documents, maps, and graphics. Skills include surface cleaning, humidification and flattening, performing mends and fills, aqueous treatments, and other duties as needed under the supervision of the Head Conservator. Maintain records, manage time, and utilize good communication skills to work with the Carrabba Conservation team to complete projects in accordance with the AIC standards of practice. Exercises a high degree of judgment in applying established conservation principles and procedures. Additional duties may include framing, mat-cutting, encapsulation, packing for transportation, general lab maintenance, preparing housing materials, and other tasks as needed. The position is created to allow the employee to merge into and adjust to the existing work flow by best utilizing his or her knowledge and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Hands-on experience carrying out conservation treatments on paper
- Ability to handle paper artifacts safely and independently
- Expert hand skills including dexterity, color acuity, and sensitivity for objects
- Ability to sit/stand for long periods of time
- Reliable transportation to and from work
- Computer and imaging skills as necessary for record keeping
- Advanced degree from recognized conservation program
- Experience in conservation in a private practice setting
- Experience in a related field such as framing and bookbinding
- Familiarity with chemistry as it relates to paper deterioration and conservation
- Identify problems with paper artifacts, propose treatment, and perform treatments on paper
- Professional Associate of AIC
Submit a resume, cover letter, three professional references, and any salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Successful candidates will be subject to a background check including criminal history, references, and employment verification.