Conservator of Objects / Sculpture and Installation art, Moderna Museet, Stockholm, Sweden
Dnr MM 2020/73
Conservator of Objects / Sculpture and Installation art
Employment: Permanent, 100% Start date: Earliest opportunity or with agreement
Moderna Museet is a government funded museum with the national collection responsibility for modern and contemporary art. The museum has an extensive programme of exhibitions, projects and educational activities and promotes international contact. Moderna Museet has one of Europe’s finest and most well-known collections of 20th and 21st century art. The museum is located in both Stockholm and Malmö. The conservation department is on Skeppsholmen in Stockholm and currently consists of a head conservator and six conservators with specialities in photographs, paintings, paper and sculpture. The working languages are Swedish and English. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to learn Swedish if it is not their native language. The post can include travel and occasional evening or weekend work. Employees of Moderna Museet work within the museum’s governmental mandate, strategic goals, and in line with its vision and values.
The main duties are contributing fully in the ongoing activities of the conservation department. Within the budget planning and executing preventive and active conservation treatments in the sculpture studio. This includes object / sculpture and installation art, as well as outdoor sculpture, kinetic art, performance art and time-based media. Involvement in exhibition, loan and new acquisition duties, in collaboration with the museum’s other departments. Preventive conservation and developing good collection management is part of the role. Involvement in questions concerning storage, climate control, transport and exhibition methods is expected, as is the registration of conservation related information in the museum database and the preparation of installation guidelines and manuals for specific works. The successful candidate will also work with artist interviews, and have an understanding of the complex problems that can be involved in the preservation of modern and contemporary art. Implementing effective and sustainable working methods whilst actively keeping up to date with developments in the conservation world are to be combined with communicating the work of sculpture conservation through the museum’s different channels.
- Masters degree from a recognized university level conservation training programme.
- Specialization in object / sculpture conservation, modern materials or installation art.
- Experience in handling and documenting works of art for storage, transport, exhibition and loan.
- Documented ability to perform conservation treatments to a high standard.
- Knowledge and understanding of the ethics and reasoning of treatment alternatives.
- Effective communication skills, both in person and written, with the ability to converse with colleagues both with and without a background in conservation.
- Interest and experience of working with traditional sculptural materials as well as modern materials.
It is of merit if the candidate has:
- Good Swedish proficiency, both written and spoken.
- Proficiency in English, both written and spoken.
- Documented experience in working with larger projects within set time limits.
- Experience of communicating conservation.
- A conservation science or other scientific background or experience.
- Competence in using digital condition report programmes and database systems (Moderna Museet uses the Dinspector programme within conservation and TMS, the Museum System, for collection registration) and relevant computer proficiency with for example Excel.
The work requires the ability to work independently and as part of team, placing high demands on problem solving and organizational skills, with good interpersonal and social competency. The successful candidate will be flexible, taking responsibility and the initiative as required.
Welcome with your application. Digital portfolios are of interest.
Information on the position can be provided by the Head of Conservation Karin Hermerén +46 8 5202 3543. The union representatives are Ulf Ericsson (Saco-S) +46 8 5202 3575 and Rigmor Roxnér (ST) +46 8 5202 3641.
Please mark your application and CV with the number dnr MM 2020/73 and send to Moderna Museet, Box 16382, 10327, Stockholm, Sweden
The last date for applications to arrive is 25 October 2020. A probationary period of six months is standard.