Connecting to Collections Care

c2ccare_logo.pngThis free online community allows staff and volunteers at small and mid-sized institutions to pose questions related to collections care. Questions are monitored and referred to a community of experts to elicit the best possible responses. Join the community by creating an account or logging in by selecting the Sign In Here button in the upper right corner.
#C2CCare
#CollectionManagement

Latest Discussion Posts

• Profile Picture

RE: White "crystallization" on wood African object

Of the several hundred masks from all over the world, some collected as early and mid 19th century, most of the ones displaying surface features of a white crystallization substance were from Africa.  These are similar to those images or descriptions ...

• Profile Picture

Wood preservative on old wood farm equipment

Our site has old farm equipment original to the family that owned the farm for 150 years. We are building temporary shelter for some wooden pieces that have just been outside for years, and are wondering about also using a wood preservative. It looks ...

• Profile Picture

RE: Exhibit labels question

The best thing I have come across in many years is 3M 4910​ VHB tape. It is a clear acrylic gel tape that is stretchy and will roll off of any surface without leaving a residue. Passes Oddy tests. Pricey but, but 3 - 4 strips 1/2" long is more than enough ...

• Profile Picture

The responses have been on the right track.  The goal is to characterize/identify the crystals which will tell you whether they are from the wood itself or an applied substance.  The latter could be part of the original manufacture of the object, or as ...

• Profile Picture

Linda,  As suggested by others, a diagnosis is tough (at best) in such a venue.  However, may I offer my suggestions (two cents) as well. Usually wooden artifacts have been subjected to the concept that they need to be oiled, which they don't.  These ...

Latest Blog Posts

• Below is a posting for our fellow museum professionals. I thought this community would be the best place for this. Please share with your colleagues.  Bureau Director II, Director of Curatorial Services Museum Division Starting Annual Salary: $55,208.96 ...