Connecting to Collections Care

c2ccare_logo.pngThis free online community allows staff and volunteers at small and mid-sized institutions to pose questions related to collections care. Questions are monitored and referred to a community of experts to elicit the best possible responses. Join the community by creating an account or logging in by selecting the Sign In Here button in the upper right corner.
#C2CCare
#CollectionManagement

Latest Discussion Posts

• Profile Picture

RE: Ethnographic Object Treated with Mercury

Thanks, Emily. No residue or red pigment was found on the bag. I provided the owner with general guidelines for handling the bag which included wearing non-cotton gloves and protective clothing, working in a well-ventilated space, and not touching ...

• Profile Picture

Silk

Two questions: (1) Are there any relatively simple ways to stabilize and handle silk that has begun to separate? (2) Are there any even more simple ways to explain what is going on with the silk to volunteers (and  a new director with no museum expierence)? ...

• Profile Picture

Hi Rhonda,  I am the C2C Care monitor for this week and am reaching out to others to find an answer for you. In the mean time, I have attached a resources list from a 2016 C2C webinar entitled  Arsenic and Lace: Controlling Hazardous Collection Material ...

• Profile Picture

Hi Rhonda, this is a timely and excellent question for which there is no clear answer. It's easy to over-react. You might point the owner to this volume which can be downloaded free https://opensi.si.edu/index.php/smithsonian/catalog/book/64 Although ...

• Profile Picture

Ethnographic Object Treated with Mercury

I have a beaded leather pouch that was offered to us as a donation.  We accepted the bag as an incoming loan so we could research whether or not we wanted to acquire the piece.  During this time an XRF test was done using a portable unit, and the bag ...