Archives Conservation Specialist 3
Office of Cultural Education, Albany, NY / Applications due September 27, 2019
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Cultural Education (OCE) is seeking candidates for an Archives Conservation Specialist 3 to lead paper conservation services for the collections of the State Archives, State Library and State Museum. The incumbent in this position will manage all operations carried out in the OCE paper conservation lab in Albany, NY.
- Design and perform conservation treatment on high priority paper-based collections of the State Archives, State Library, and State Museum;
- Oversee the preparation of paper-based collections for exhibition and loan;
- Develop storage and housing plans for both large- and small-scale collections;
- Supervise and train conservators, technicians, interns, contractors and other staff, as requested;
- Identify priorities for conservation and develop and implement conservation plans that both target the most vulnerable collections and address user needs;
- Write contract specifications and coordinate all paper collections conservation through contractual services;
- Work with program staff to develop grant proposals and direct grant-funded projects that advance collections conservation and preservation;
- Lead or participate on teams to improve stewardship of collections across OCE;
- Present talks, tours and demonstrations for staff, visitors and other groups; and
- Provide conservation and preservation advice to local governments, cultural institutions, and the public.
Compensation: Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
For minimum qualifications and application instructions visit