Intern, Preventive Conservation, Summer 2020
Located in Toronto, the Art Gallery of Ontario (“the AGO”) is one of the largest art museums in North America, with a collection of close to 100,000 works. With an operating budget of over $60 million, over 600 employees, and 400 volunteers, the AGO continues to build a high-performance culture as an employer-of-choice, with strong staff and volunteer satisfaction and engagement aligned to the AGO’s compelling mission to bring art and people together to see, experience and understand the world in new ways.
Key responsibilities include:
- Compile, review, and organise data from AGO loan records to support ongoing research
- Assist with maintenance of artwork in galleries and preservation of the collection
- Assess artwork in storage and assist with planning for storage upgrades
- Develop and fabricate new storage housings for artwork
- Assist with integrated pest management and environmental monitoring
Our ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Master’s Degree student in Conservation or Museum Studies seeking a summer internship in fulfillment of their program or equivalent experience
- Highly organised with attention to detail and excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of preventive conservation
- Direct experience of artifact care and handling
- Candidate must be a Canadian citizen or currently eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian residents must be eligible through International Experience Canada or SWAP and will be subject to a 15% withholding tax.
The successful candidate will receive a $6000 stipend for the 12-week placement. This internship is generously supported by the Michael and Sonja Koerner Conservation Initiatives Fund.
We invite individuals who reflect the diversity of our visitors to apply by submitting a tailored cover letter and resume via our website: https://ago.ca/jobs-and-volunteering. We thank all applicants but must advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act & the AGO’s Recruitment & Selection Policy for Staff, a request for accommodation will be considered throughout the hiring process. The Art Gallery of Ontario is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Head of Conservation
416 979 6660 x6787
AGO.ca | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram#job#internship