Gilcrease Museum / The University of Tulsa
The Project Conservator-Paper Conservator, under the supervision of the Chief Conservator, will work with the Luce Project Team to conduct conservation assessments of 3,800 collection items within two major areas of the museum’s collection: Native American painting traditions in the southern Great Plains region and the art and archives of Thomas Moran and his wife Mary Nimmo Moran. This is a one-year contract position. The position is funded through an award from the Henry Luce Foundation and is contingent upon grant funds being received.
- Conducts preliminary conservation interventions on the items and conducts more intensive treatments on approximately 300 items
- Assesses object deterioration and reconciles with Museum’s collection database (TMS) entries.
- In consultation with the Chief Conservator, designs and perform conservation treatments to prepare objects for matting and photography
- Predicted treatments will includes: surface cleaning, tape removal, fine art quality paper repairs, media consolidation, flattening, and continuous hinge application
- Provides written and photographic documentation to record condition of objects, treatments proposed, and treatments performed
- Ensures all object condition, treatment and handling documentation is entered into the Museum’s collection database (TMS)
- Advises and works collaboratively with the conservation technicians preparing matts, performing micro-fading testing (MFT), and photography
- Preforms other duties related to the project as assigned.
Degree from a recognized conservation program or equivalent and a minimum of 2 years’ experience in conservation of art on paper. Considerable knowledge of preventive conservation practices and standards of the American Alliance of Museums best practices for the care and maintenance of collections. Experience working independently on high volume treatments preferred. Experience with TMS or other museum collection database applications. Ability to perform physical work. Proficient in PC or Mac software applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
This position requires a great deal of mobility and spending time on his/her feet. Dexterity enough to use a keyboard and telephone; occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling up to 50 pounds; push and pull up to 75 lbs. with the assistance of a cart; may be subject to extended periods of walking, standing, sitting, reaching, balancing, bending, kneeling, handling, feeling, climbing, and twisting; and vision, speech, and hearing sufficient to perform the essential tasks.
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three references to: Joanna Didik, Chief Conservator, Gilcrease Museum, 1400 N Gilcrease Museum Road, Tulsa, OK 74127 or email to email@example.com.
The review of applications will commence immediately and will continue until the position is filled.