Preservation Specialist / Job number: 38859BR
Salary Range: $37,600 - $47,000 per year; DOE
Close Date: 07-April-2020
- Under the direction of the Conservator, the Preservation Specialist is responsible for performing conservation treatments and collection care activities for library collection materials in accordance with established conservation theory, practices, and ethics.
- Using a team-based approach to problem-solving, the Preservation Specialist actively contributes to effective workflows, processes, practices, and cross-library communication related to preservation issues affecting the collections.
- It is expected that this position will collaborate with the Conservator, Reformatting Project Manager, and other stakeholders in order to contribute to continuous process improvements related to preserving and providing access to ASU Library collections.
- Performs minor, intermediate and/or major conservation treatments of library collection materials designed to stabilize, conserve, and protect holdings of the libraries in accordance with established conservation theory, practice, and ethics. Constructs a variety of custom-made housings and enclosures for library collection materials.
- Supports the Conservator by facilitating and tracking the movement of materials between the ASU Library Conservation lab and other ASU Library locations.
- Identifies, evaluates, and prepares materials to send to outsourced vendors for commercial binding and other outsourced preservation services.
- Supports the Conservator with the coordination of shipments of collections materials to other outsourced vendors and grant project partners.
- Provides support for preservation assessment, physical preparation and mounting for display, and transportation of collection materials requested for exhibits, events, and loans.
- Performs a variety of maintenance and organization activities to provide for the ongoing order and cleanliness of the Conservation lab.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts or related field AND one (1) year library conservation/preservation experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience performing item level conservation treatment conservation treatment on books and other paper-based materials.
- Experience creating conservation photo-documentation and written conservation treatment proposals.
- Demonstrated knowledge of collection care best practices for books and paper-based materials in the context of a research library collection that includes both circulating and non-circulating materials.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the safe and proper handling and operation of conservation equipment, tools, instruments, and chemicals.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper preservation methods, safe handling practices, and collection care standards for a wide variety of non-paper-based materials and objects commonly found in archives, including but not limited to: audiovisual materials, textiles and costumes, plastic toys and objects, historical housewares such as silverware, glassware, trophies, sculptures, and paintings.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the conservation ethics, theory, and practices relevant to research library and archives collections.
- Experience using, updating, and/or creating data using complex records systems and/or software, including but not limited to:
- conservation treatment documentation databases; library information systems or platforms used for the creation and management of bibliographic records; departmental statistics collection and analysis platforms and tools; and/or environmental monitoring data tracking and analysis systems.
- Experience providing excellent service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience solving problems in a team-based setting, including actively and collaboratively
- contributing to improving workflows and communications.
- Experience in adjusting to periods of increased workflow demands, changing priorities, and varying responsibilities.
- Experience in working as part of a team in a changing environment.
The position closes at 3:00PM Arizona Time on April 7, 2020.